Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hiking in Skiathos

Its a well known fact that Skiathos is home to some of the best beaches in Greece so I figured I'd take the time to focus on something else the island has to offer...

The green mountainous landscape of the island attracts hikers from all over the world. There are exactly 25 marked hiking trails (197 km) to fit every hiker's preference. The "Papadiamantis Hiker's Medal" is awarded along with a gift and certificate to any hiker who can prove he or she has hiked at least 12 trails. Those who are motivated enough to hike all 25 trails are given the "Papadiamantis Wanderer's Medal."

I'll be honest. I'm not much of a "nature" person but I love running and I have enjoyed some of the most scenic routes right here in Skiathos. Agios Fanourios is a hill on the outskirts of town that offers very good hiking. It's a difficult route but has some amazing views.

These photos from Ag. Fanourios are more convincing than my own words....





Here are some of the most popular spots for hiking on the island:
Koukounaries Forest, Kanapitsa Peninsula, Evangelistria Monastery, Town to Kastro

-Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment