Sunday, July 22, 2012

Some Places To Shop In Skiathos

Hi Everyone!

I was browsing the little shops on Papadiamantis street and the roads that branch off and found some nice places to buy some unique souvenirs. My favorite one was called Ammos. It’s a shop with handmade jewelry and some very cute sandals that you definitely would not be able to find back in the states! I personally bought a pair and I also bought something for both of my sisters as a gift when I get home! The store is actually on etsy.com
 and the owner and co workers are going to Orlando, Florida this fall for an exhibition of their products. They are a very accommodating staff. I had bought a pair of sandals that I had not worn but were too small for me and they let me exchange them! Also they told me if the sandals didn’t fit my sister back in the States that we could ship them back and they would exchange the size. They are all about pleasing the customer! 
The store Ammos.
The inside of the store Ammos.
Another popular store that is on Papadiamantis street is called Arkos. It is a very trendy store that sells jewelry, bags, shoes and other accessories. The staff definitely works hard and very long hours! The store is opened from 8 in the morning to 2 in the morning. Talk about dedication to your job! 
Inside the store Arkos.
One store my parents and I happened to stumble upon was called Jivaeri. It is a family owned business where the owners craft their own artwork for about the past 20 years. They have two stores that are off of Papadiamantis street. They both sell their products but one is below the house that is over 100 years old where they bake their ceramic plates and other products in the kiln. The mother’s name is Asia (Ashia) and she is very talented, personable and accommodating to her customers. My mom even bought one of her pieces! 
The outside of Jivaeri.
The kiln in one of the stores.
I happened to be walking around town and ended up near the Bourtzi. There was a young man who was selling sponges. His papou (grandfather), who is 71 years old dives all over Greece for sponges. The grandson, Phillip, said that his papou has been doing this for 47 years now and it’s an extremely dangerous job. At first the sponge is attached to the rocks by an organism that makes it dark. It is a darker organism and once the sponge is taken off, it is cleaned to remove the organism and leave the sponges with the much lighter colors that you typically see. It was very interesting talking to Phillip and learning about the sponges. 
The sponges Phillip was selling.  The picture in front of the basket is of his papou (grandfather) diving.
Last but not least, I had gone into a boutique called A Be Ba Blom and started talking to one of the employees about why I was here and what I was doing. She mentioned that her great-great-great grandparents had moved to Newport, Rhode Island to find a better life. She didn’t know much else about the story but I just thought it was cool since mine and Tori’s main job is to find out about the connections to Newport, Rhode Island, the sister city of Skiathos.

More for later!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment